October 31, 2010

Dress Tutorial


So - please let me preface this by saying,....I am not a seamstress.  I did take grade eight home economics.  But that sadly qualifies me for very little.  Ummm....although I DID get an A.  Yeah.  I thought that would impress! :)  But these directions may not be completely complete... or easy to understand. Let me know if you have questions....and I'll pass them along to my grade eight home ec teacher! :)

I must say that there is very little that I enjoy doing more than making girly things for my little princess.  So as I cleaned out my fabric left overs I was inspired to make her something pretty!  I've seen a version of this dress around and figured I could figure it out if I tried really hard....after all, did I mention grade eight home economics??? ;)

I started with three fabrics:
(made a size 5 girls dress) - (seams were 1/2")

Bodice - cut four pieces: 13" x 6" - cutting out corner for armholes


Shoulder straps - cut four pieces: 15" x 3"
Skirt - cut two pieces: 19" x 25 1/2"
Skirt Hem Trim - cut two pieces: 6 1/2" x 25 1/2"


Shoulder Straps
Sew two strips, right side together along two lengths and diagonally along one end.  Trim edges and turn right side out.  Press.


Repeat with second set of strips.

Bodice
Sew one set of bodice pieces, right side together, along two ends under arm holes. Press seams apart.  Repeat with other set of bodice pieces (becomes lining).

Place lining bodice inside bodice, right sides together.  Match side seams and pin raw edges together.  Pin two straps inside the the top of bodice and lining (this is the back of the dress).


Sew bodice lining to bodice along the top and around arm holes.  Do not sew along the bottom raw edge.

Turn right side out.  Press and edge stitch along the top and around arms of bodice.

Turn bodice lining out and press raw bottom hem up 1/2".

Skirt
Sew right sides together along the two sides of the skirt.

Skirt Trim
Sew right sides together along the two ends of trim strips.  Press seams apart.

Fold trim in half and press.  Press one edge under 1/2" all the way around trim bottom (this becomes the backside of trim), leaving one edge down.

Pin right side of trim front to right side of skirt edge.  Sew together and press seam down towards trim.


Fold trim band up and hand sew hem along the inside of skirt.


Gather the top edge of skirt.    Pin skirt to front of bodice, right sides together, matching sides seams and keeping gathers even across the front and back of skirt.

Sew along pinned raw edges. and press seam up towards bodice, making sure bodice lining stays free.

Turn bodice lining down over raw seam and hand sew pressed bottom of bodice lining to the skirt/bodice.


Finally sew a button hole on either side of the bodice front top.  Pull shoulder straps through front button holes and tie.




Have a great day! :)

2 comments:

Trina said...

Look at you - grade 8 home ec has served you well... ;) It looks very sweet on her, too.

Mom said...

Great job kiddo!! And she looks so pleased to be in her new dress!