September 22, 2010

Craigslist Freebie

So - completely shocking - but a few months ago some unknowing sucker posted this beauutee for FREE on Craigslist.  Ummm...crazy??  I think so.  So we jumped all over that like a fat kid on a Smartie - and gotta say I was genuinely surprised that we were the first to contact them given it had been posted for a few days already. LUCKEEE!


No, I do not, nor do I want to, know - the source of the giant stain across the seat....


So I know very little about reupholstering, but I do know that it's possible to make it look better than that. I started by sanding it down with an orbital sander and some hand sanding, primed it and then painted two coats with a soft green that I was hoping will be pulled out with distressing and match my fabric. I then spray painted it a few coats with white spray paint.


I then started pulling it apart and stapling on the new fabric...

Unfortunately, I wasn't quite feeling it - the white and the fabric were not going at all. The contrast was too stark and I wasn't too excited about repainting with the new fabric on.  So - this is where I left the room, and decided I was going to post it on Craigslist for free. Umm....lesson learned.  Perhaps next time I'll just stick with the box of Smarties...


A week later I decided to regroup and try to attack it again. - with cream.  Looking SOOO much better.




The plan is to start distressing with some light sanding and a stain - but to be very honest....TOTALLY gun shy.  is there a trick?  there's gotta be a trick....and this is where you tell me the trick..... :)






3 comments:

Mandy England said...

Ok, I LOVE this! And I think that it will be even more adorably cute once you distress it, so I totally think you should GO FOR IT! The one thing that I've found in distressing is that it looks best if the majority of the distress is applied to the edges and details... it makes them "pop" even more. So for a chair with this lovely detailing on the arms, I would distress most along the edges of those details. Good luck!

Mandy England said...

By the way, here's a FABULOUS and detailed distressing tutorial that I found a few weeks ago: http://www.prettyhandygirl.com/2010/09/aging-is-so-distressing-techniques-for.html

Melissa said...

Looks awesome!