September 19, 2010

"Thankful" Tutorial...

So here's an easy peasy idea that literally can be started and completed before the kids get up from rest time! LOVIN' instant gratification projects!  I also had everything on hand so it cost me nothing, which I'm also a big fan of! :)  


I grabbed some scraps of 3/4" MDF that we had in the workshop (oh how I wish I could say the word "garage" there.....'cause that would mean that the dust would be less "in" my house - and more "beside" my house every time we use the miter saw.... :(... ) and cut it into random sizes and widths between 1 1/2 - 3 inches.




Then I opened up Word on my computer and typed in my letters, changing up the size and font for each one and printing them out on different colors of scrapbooking paper.




Cut out my letters to fit within each piece of MDF and inked the edges of the paper.
Used some acrylic craft paint for the sides and front edge of each block of MDF - using different colors to change it up a bit, and inked the edges of the blocks with my ink pad as well.




Mod-podged the paper to the front of each block and painted a layer over top the whole thing, making sure to cover the edges so they don't peel off.


Sadly - this endorsement is not sponsored by Mod-Podge
and That's the whole deal!! I added some ribbon around two of the letters for a little interest. Cute and easy!    






I actually did up a few sets at the same time, used some raffia to tie them up and shared some lovin' with a few friends! :)




But give it a try and let me know how they turn out! :) Have a great day!


Ralna

12 comments:

Mandy England said...

This is a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing!! Can you put any sized paper in printers? I've wondered that for a long time.. did you make sure that it was cut down to 8 1/2 x 11 or can smaller pieces go in too?

Trina said...

I am so trying that - maybe even tomorrow :) Looks so great :)

Mona said...

Super idea!

Ralna said...

Mandy, I usually cut my paper to 8 1/2" width just to make things easier but have run narrower scraps through as well and it usually works as long as I feed it along the right hand side of my printer feeder. I'm sure every printer is a little different though. :) Hope it works for you!

Unknown said...

This is so cute. I am totally going to do a Merry Christmas one for my mantel. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

That is the cutest ever. I love that idea for Christmas gifts. I have to put that on file. Hmmmm! Great idea.
Brooke

Melissa said...

So cute!!

Simple as 1-2-3

Sandy Ang said...

They look fantastic !

Remaking Memories said...

What a wonderful idea! I'm "Thankful" to you for sharing this tutorial. The words I could use are just spinning around inside my head.

www.remakingmemories.com/blog

Carmen said...

Love, love, love this Ralna! I'm so excited to try it! I've always wondered how to make these, and without painting by hand!

claire @ a peachtree city life said...

i love the idea of giving as a gift - definitely putting this in my inspiration file!

Krista @ While He Was Napping said...

These are so cute. One day I will have a workshop (or the hubby's garage works too) where I can do all these cool wood cutting projects. Until then, guess I'll have to let Lowe's do it. I love these!

Krista
whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com