October 3, 2012

The Great Cereal Shake-Down of 2012

My children are HUGE fans of breakfast.  And large lovers of cereal.  It is definitely their favorite isle at the grocery store and also delivers the most heated conversations when given any input - whether solicited or not - into which of the countless varieties will be coming home with them.   I usually veto any/all choices with the mom card (you know, the one I promised myself I would NEVER do when I  was the mom...'cause I was going to be SOOO super cool and laid back) the one that sounds a little like... "Guys...that stuff is pure sugar.  Here - You can choose between Shredded Wheat and Cornflakes."  Mmmm.  Perhaps you could throw some puffed wheat and Bran Buds to the mix Coolio...

So in nod to my six years of 'responsible mother breakfast decisions' - our family has dedicated the next three months to a little experiment we have coined "The Great Cereal Shake-Down" 


- okay, clearly that is a 'cool mom' decision as well.  my kids would NOT have named it...  Regardless, until Christmas we have agreed to not purchase the same cereal twice and to let the kids make all the cereal decisions (well - paying attention to sales of course - 'cus I'm not THAT cool.) - oh the power!  We're going to let the kids rate them as we go and then crown our cereal royalty over Christmas break.  Naturally then it will be back to Raisin Bran, and I will be crushing multi-vitamins into their yogurt in the interim. 

I am going to make up little flashcards as we go including the cereal label and room for an elaborate 5 star rating system -


The kids are super excited about it and thus far it's been a fun little experiment.  And hey,...try and tell me I'm not cool.   

5 comments:

Mom said...

Of course you are SOOOO COOL Ralna. When I think of COOL I think of you. Not sure I'm excited about all the sugar you and your family will be consuming between now and Christmas.....and will you really be able to go back to something boring?

Dad said...

As a casual reader of a blog which caters to the whims of the inner tugs of desire, I would like to ask for clarification. Do you have oatmeal and cream of wheat on the agenda for cereal? Does puffed wheat and white porridge qualify? If only we could arrange a daily "Pie Shake-Down for 2012"

Trina said...

Glad you're at least giving a nod to the ones on sale :) Super fun for your kids... and it does move you up a step or two in the coolness factor.
However, I am NOT showing this post to my kids, and as far as anyone is concerned, it never happened.

By the way, when did you guys start this little experiment?

Dad, I think your life pretty much is a Pie Shake-Down. Seriously, you eat more pie than anyone I know! ;) And your ratings would be pretty boring when they all get top marks!

klmoore23 said...

Can you please save the Lucky Charms tasting week until Christmas break please!?!!! :P

Ralna said...

Sadly Lucky Charms have come and 'quickly' gone! :) I think they are the front runner though so they'll have to make a reappearance for Christmas! :)