May 30, 2010

It Can't be THAT hard

...says the sucker who's never done it before.  And when pricing out two matching chairs for our living room, it became very obvious that I can't afford what I would truly like - I discovered these two treasures at our neighborhood auction.   Ummm - TOO good to be true.  We were sadly mocked by the auctioneer for this purchase at $15 each.  Are auctioneers really suppose to do that?  And seriously - you gotta think that there's some 16 year old in a factory somewhere mass producing these things for $12 an hour - k, actually probably more like $4 an hour...30 years ago.  So really....how could I NOT be able to pull this off??  Well, Ralna,  Sarah Richardson and HGTV have done you a large disfavor, because it is NOT that easy, the fallacy of ease in reupholstering should not be minimized by a three second blip in a twenty minute episode and "Vintage" is NOT always cool.  Propaganda.




But - $40 in fabric for each of them and they are actually incredibly comfortable.  Completely "broken in" back in the '70s when they were bought. :)




I wish I didn't see the many imperfections every time I looked at them....and I wish my children didn't feel it necessary to rub their dirty faces on them on every possible occasion....BUT they shall do.  And I definitely learned from the experience.  It was THAT hard - but I'll probably do it again.

4 comments:

Mona said...

And they look great Ralna...very proud of you.

Carmen said...

You make me laugh! And SUCH a bold move having white chairs and small children, BUT they look great! Can't wait to come and see them in person!

j.d said...

looks awesome! im doing my first reupholstery project too, on a couch! eek

what kind of foot did you use to sew the upholstery? the material is so thick!

Ralna said...

I am sure there are better options out there - but I didn't know any better so I just used my normal foot and then around the piping used the zipper foot. Other than the cushions though - there was really minimal sewing and it was mostly just done with the staple gun and a couple tack strips that I got from a local upholstery shop for the backs. Good luck with the couch! :) Come back and post a link when you're done!